For over 20 years now, gone are the days of 1, 2 or even 3 jobs in a lifetime.
Due to the increasingly fast evolution of economies and technology, and the relatively shorter life cycle of corporations, employees have to factor in the possibility of internal or external job move, and duly prepare, every time, to reduce stress, uncertainty and the possibility of making costly, wrong decisions in their search for better career opportunities.
These statistics on career change provide the perspective.
- The on-line magazine Fast Company (1st July 2016) confirms that in the US most
executives switch jobs every 3 years,
- In the US, men stay in average 4.3 years in the same position, while women, 4 years,
- The Harvard Business Review (January–February 2010 Issue) confirms that the average
baby boomer will switch jobs 10 to 12 times,
If the career move isn't caused by external pressure such as merger & acquisition or market downturn, employees will generally move for greater fulfillment and better compensation, whatever their age.
For a few years we have been successfully assisting some of our clients (employees, managers and directors) so their actual communication skills during interviews, wherever they may take place, clearly reflect their qualities, skills, personality and loyalty.
Hence it is important to develop expertise at networking, job searching and preparing for interviews in order to minimize the risks associated with insufficient research, short term thinking or underestimating the importance of the cultural fit with a new employer.
With the above in mind a careful preparation may include :
- Clarifying your professional goals
- Exploring different alternatives than the one initially imagined
- Developing the confidence to move
- Adequately revamping your resume for best impact
- Developing confidence in networking and becoming very good at it
- Showing up confident at interviews
- Preparing to face unexpected / difficult questions
- Leaving a positive impression
- Being ready for the next round of interviews
- Developing presentation skills
All replies will be treated with complete confidentiality.